All notable changes and release notes for SVL Simulator will be documented in this file.
[2021.1.1] - 2021-05-20#
- 3D Visualizer to help create sensor configuration on a vehicle
- HD map visualizer on map profile pages
- Ability to share test reports with other users
- "Supported Simulator versions" value on asset profile page
- Improved sharing feature for private assets and simulations
- Save and Exit button on sensor configuration page
- Tutorials to help new users on how to interact with the web user interface pages
- Email confirmation upon sensor plugin sharing
- Improved quick filters on Store and Library pages
- Redirect to existing asset profile page when uploading an already uploaded asset
- Request access button on private plugin pages
- Require adding a vehicle sensor configuration when creating a simulation
- Fixed issues with multi-vehicle simulation using same vehicle and sensor configuration
- Improvements to cluster page user experience
- Show proper names for missing sensors on invalid simulations
- Proper error messages for wrong information on registration page
- Proper error messages when maximum allowed cluster limit is reached
[2021.1] - 2021-03-23#
- New cloud-based web user interface including:
- Asset Store for downloading assets, uploading and sharing assets publicly
- user account password management
- user assets management library
- support for private assets
- private assets/simulations sharing with registered users
- cluster/Simulation status handling
- SVL Simulator content from this release will be available in the Asset Store
- New and updated runtime templates for simulations with automatic bringup and execution:
- Random Traffic
- Visual Scenario Editor
- Python API
- API Only
- Visual Scenario Editor for creating scenarios including support for:
- traffic vehicle and pedestrian waypoints
- copy/paste/undo feature
- ability to specify ego vehicle target destination
- support for controllables with ability to edit default policy
- color selection for actors
- waypoint positions snapped to HD map lanes
- support for distance, time, and time-to-collision triggers
- traffic lights control
- Automatically generated test case reports of simulations including:
- success/failure scenario evaluation
- simulation statistics
- analytics data per sensor
- video recording of simulation
- multiple violation event detection: collision, stopline, stopsign, ego-stuck, sudden jerk/brake/turn, speed-limit, etc.
- PythonAPI: many improvements including:
- added cloudiness and road damage to weather parameters
- ability to specify date in environment configuration
- added Dreamview API as sub-module
- added callback agents_traversed_waypoints
- added ability to set speed at WalkWaypoints
- added waypoint trigger system
- ability to set simulator camera free-state position and rotation
- sample Python API scripts based on NHTSA-defined scenarios for end-to-end testing
- additional Python API test samples: random-traffic mode, cut-in, sudden-braking, etc.
- Environment configuration improvements:
- moon position in nighttime environment configurations
- Improved environment road wetness layer
- UI for FPS and SIM time
- Improved rain particles
- Increased types of traffic lights, model improvements
- Improvements in Developer Mode:
- developer settings to use ego vehicle within Developer Mode
- ability to select and add actors to simulation in Developer Settings
- added sensor debug mode
- added tool to rotate Editor scene view to -X north
- Features for traffic agents in simulation:
- support for bicyclist traffic agents
- support for custom traffic vehicle behavior plugins
- pedestrian crosswalk support with yield for traffic vehicles (SanFrancisco map)
- added direction for pedestrian crosswalk annotation tool
- spawning NPCs now raycasts target bounds from egos' positions
- New map/environment creation improvements:
- default ego destination points for LG-provided maps
- HD map road network environment generation tool
- test maps for NHTSA-like test cases: Straight1LanePedestrianCrosswalk, Straight1LaneSame, etc.
- General simulation improvements:
- ability to create and run a Distributed Simulation from web user interface
- offline mode for running saved simulation configurations
- improved cache control for downloaded assets
- Sensors improvements:
- new sensors: StopLine, HUDKeyboardControl, AutowareAIControl, LGSVLControl, etc.
- improved LiDAR simulation performance
- sun-flare, raindrops, greyscale, and video artifacts effects for sensors
- support for sensor post-distortion effects
- Default values for simple and complex sensor parameter types
- Enabled sensors to load texture assets
- Improvements around support for AD stacks:
- Optimized ROS2 interface and bridge
- Support for Apollo 6.0 and master
- Product branding changed from "LGSVL Simulator" to "SVL Simulator"
- Old local web user interface is now deprecated. Users need to migrate to new web user interface
- Old content website will be deprecated
- All content now managed on cloud - downloaded as needed by simulation configuration
- Unity update to 2019.4.18f1
- All sensors are now sensor plugins - default sensors are part of user plugin library
- Sensor plugins no longer bundled with simulator executable
- Distributed simulation: fixed pedestrian movement animation bug
- Distributed simulation: video artifact fix
- Fixed wrong timestamp error in clock and IMU sensors
- Fix acceleration/angular velocity in Apollo imu/corrected_imu
- Fixed way of handling failed downloads
- Fixed bugs and issues in OpenDrive HD map importer and exporter
- Point cloud rendering: added alternative method for removing obscured points (reduces flickering, requires depth prepass)
- Point cloud rendering: Fill scarce depth map holes through neighborhood sampling
- Point Cloud Rendering: Fix skybox blending in unlit point cloud
- Improved traffic lights in environments
- Rain/clouds/lights improvements
- NPC spawn logic improvements
- Fix old NPC models and prefab
- Adjust camera distance from ego bounds
- HD map import: Fix keyError in lanelet2 and improve grouping lanes at intersections
- HD map import: Fix map origin update during OpenDrive map import
[2020.06] - 2020-08-31#
- Support modular testing of planning with Apollo 5.0
- Bridge plugin system with example (LoggingBridge)
- Added default ultrasonic distance sensor
- Sensor TF visualizer in sensor visualizations
- Added button in map annotation tool to add synthetic lane boundary lines automatically
- Python API: added callback agents_traversed_waypoints
- Python API: added ability to set speed at WalkWaypoints
- Python API: Added waypoint trigger system
- Fixed 90 degree orientation offset in GPS odometry sensor
- Replaced default ROS2 bridge to improved custom ROS2 bridge instead of ros2-web-bridge
- Unity update to 2019.3.15f1
- Fixed timestamps in GPS, IMU
- Added timestamp to default LiDAR sensor PointCloud message
- Fixed bugs in OpenDrive map importer to correctly compute reference lines and lane widths for edge cases
- Improved OpenDrive map exporter to export parametric cubic curves instead of simple lines for each reference line segment
[2020.05] - 2020-06-02#
- Support for custom traffic vehicle behavior plugins
- Support for Apollo 5.5 (latest master)
- Support for distributed simulation
- Velodyne VLS-128 support
- Python API function to spawn random non-ego vehicles and pedestrians
- Unlit shadows support for point cloud environment rendering
- AD system-agnostic message definitions to "lgsvl_msgs" for vehicle control, CAN bus and status data, etc.
- Refactored traffic agent Waypoint Mode with fixes for idle and trigger waypoints
- Changed gnss_odom message coordinate system to right-handed coordinate system
- Fixed "ignore map origin" option for gnss_odom message
- Fixed acceleration values in IMU sensor
- Fix sky flickering issue during point cloud rendering
- Fixed LiDAR readback error
- Removed and replaced documentation source files from main repository to separate Documentation repository
[2020.03] - 2020-04-03#
- Velodyne VLP-16 and VLP-32C support through custom LiDAR sensor plugin
- Support for LiDAR sensor plugin with direct UDP socket interface
- Support for point cloud environment rendering
- Extensible vehicle dynamics
- Functional Mockup Interface 2.0 (FMI 2.0) interface for vehicle dynamics
- Support for fisheye camera lens distortion
- Support for sensor_msgs/NavSatFix message type for GPS messages in ROS2
- Vehicle Odometry sensor for reporting steering angles and velocity in ROS2
- Upgraded to Unity 2019.3.3f1
- Fixed black artifacts in Linux bug
- Fixed display issues in Unity Editor bug
- Fixed camera sensor invalid data bug
- 3D Ground Truth sensor now generates different ID for vehicle after each respawn
[2020.01] - 2020-01-31#
- Controllable Object plugin support, dynamically add and control Controllables with the Python API
- Ability to create LiDAR sensor with non-uniform beam distribution
- Ability to add distortion effects to Camera sensors
- Support for Autoware.Auto messages (ROS2)
- Ability to create custom message types for sensor plugins
- TransformSensor which can act as a parent for other sensors
- VehicleStateSensor which is needed by Autoware.Auto
- Added SanFrancisco map as a default map option
- Allow null texture bundles without an error
- Pedestrian mass reduced to 70kg
- Fixed lagging of 2D Ground Truth boxes (in visualization and data)
- ComfortSensor included with Simulator binary
- TrafficCone included with Simulator binary
- Fixed exported HD map lane relations
- Fixed ROS2 GPS
[2019.12] - 2020-01-21#
- Custom callback for Python API, useful in sensor plugins.
- Ability to specify count and types of NPCs to spawn on the map.
- Optimized texture usage in maps - significantly reduces size on disk and GPU memory used.
- Allow boundary type to be optional for Apollo HD map import.
- Fix Python API to be able load maps & vehicles that are shared between multiple users.
- Separated bundle file format version for map and vehicle bundles.
- Improved headlights for EGO vehicles.
- Improved HD map annotation icons.
- Fixed Sedan NPC mesh.
[2019.11] - 2019-11-19#
- OpenDrive 1.4 HD map import.
- Rain drops on ground when it is raining.
- Separated Apollo HD map export between version 3.0 and 5.0 to support 5.0 specific features.
- Cache vehicle prefabs when loading same vehicle multiple times into simulation.
- Ability to login to account via command-line.
- Ability for vehicle to have multiple interior lights. Fixes #474.
- Allow Color, Depth and Semantic cameras to have higher capture & publish rate.
- Building & loading custom sensors as plugins.
- Fixed traffic lights signal colors on Shalun map.
- Fixed exceptions when NPCs are despawned while still in intersection.
- Fixed errors when adding pedestrian to map without NavMesh.
- Fixed Lanelet2 boundary import and export.
- Multiple fixes for OpenDrive import and export.
- Fixed wrong raycast layers in 2D Ground Truth sensor to detect if NPC is visible.
- Fixed missing timestamp when publishing ROS/Cyber messages from 2D Ground Truth sensor.
- Limit number of spawned NPCs and vehicles for large maps.
[2019.10] - 2019-10-28#
- Apollo HD map import
- Accurate sun position in sky based of map location. Including time of sunrise and sunset.
- Control calibration sensor to help calibrating AD stack control.
- Ported Shalun map from previous non-HDRP simulator version.
- Ground Truth sensor for traffic light.
- Python API method to get controllable object by position.
- Python API method to convert multiple map coordinates in single call.
- Python API method to perform multiple ray-casts in single call.
- Sensor for controlling vehicle with steering wheel (Logitech G920).
- Platform independent asset bundles (Windows and Linux).
- Allow to set custom data path for database and downloaded bundles.
- Visualize data values for non-image senors (GPS, IMU, etc).
- Populate scene with required objects when new scene is created in Unity Editor.
- Fixed exceptions in ROS Bridge where if it receives message on topic that it has not subscribed.
- Fixed 3D Ground Truth sensor to report correct NPC orientation angles.
- Fixed Radar sensor to visualize pedestrians.
- Fixed Color camera to render mountains in BorregaAve.
- Fixed EGO vehicle collision callback to Python API.
- Fixed WebUI redirect loop that happens if you are logged out.
- Fixed reported NPC vehicle speed. Fixes #347 and #317.
- Fixed gear shifting for EGO vehicle control. Fixes #389.
- Fixed NPC waypoint following where NPCs stopped if assigned speed is too low.
- Fixed semantic segmentation for vehicles and pedestrians added with Python API.
- Fixed ROS2 message publishing (seq field was missing in Header). Fixes #413.
- Fixed issue with database on some non-English locales. Fixes #381.
- Fixed point cloud generation in Unity Editor.
- Fixed browser loosing cookie when session ends in WebUI.
- Fixed slowness in Python API when running without access to Internet.
- Fixed issue when multiple users could not use same map url.
- Improved error messages when simulation fails to start.
[2019.09] - 2019-09-06#
- Sensor visualization UI
- HD map export to OpenDrive 1.4 format
- ROS service support for ROS bridge
- Python API to support more robust waypoints for NPC vehicles
- Python API with ability to control traffic lights on map
- Hyundai Nexo vehicle
- Improved NPC movement and right turns on red traffic light
- Fixed NPC vehicle despawning logic so they don't get stuck in intersections
- Change NPC vehicles colliders from box to mesh to improves collision precision
- Updated generated protobuf message classes for latest Apollo 5.0
- Fixed 3D Ground Truth message type for ROS
- Fixed 3D and 2D Ground Truth bounding box locations
[2019.07] - 2019-08-09#
- Separate Asset Bundles for environments and vehicles
- Fully deterministic physics simulation
- Faster-than-real-time capability with Python API
- Lanelet2 HD map format import/export
- Ability to edit sensor configuration dynamically
- Multi-user support - account login allows different users to login to one machine running simulator
- BorregasAve 3D environment as a default provided map
- AutonomouStuff 3D environment as a default provided map of parking lot
- SingleLaneRoad 3D environment as a default provided map
- CubeTown 3D environment as a default provided map
- Lexus RX and Lincoln MKZ vehicle support
- LiDAR outputs intensity value based on reflectivity of material (instead of color)
- Support for Apollo 5.0
- Support for Autoware 1.12
- Light reflections on road from wetness
- Better sky rendering, including clouds
- Ability to import point cloud files for visualization
- User interface - use web UI for main user interaction
- Render pipeline - Unity High Definition Render Pipeline
- Significantly improved LiDAR simulation performance using multithreading
- Improved map annotation for easier use in Editor
- Improved point cloud generation from 3D environment in Editor
- Support for Duckiebot, EP_rigged, SF_rigged, Tugbot vehicles
- Support for SimpleLoop, SimpleMap, SimpleRoom, Duckietown, DuckieDownTown, SanFrancisco, Shalun maps
[2019.05 and older]#
Please see release notes for previous versions on our Github releases page.